Just saw this site: Stuff White People Like.
All I can say is guilty.
Just for the heck of it, I’ll point out a few I don’t happen to like, but that’s only 14 out of 95 items. And among those 14 that are left, I certainly see where this grand ethnography is coming from. Of course, I’m sure that just furthers inherent social critiques of the generalizations white people — particularly self-styled progressive, tolerant, intellectual whites — often bring to their contemplation of people of color and cultural diversity.
This is perhaps one of the funniest, yet wisest, things I’ve seen online recently.
Anyhow, for those who care, here are the items I don’t happen to enjoy, and my reasons why:
- #95 Rugby (Like football, I just don’t see the point)
- #87 Outdoor Performance Clothes
- #71 Being the only white person around
- #69 Mos Def (actually, I don’t care either way)
- #68 Michel Gondry (lame and over-rated)
- #67 Standing Still at Concerts (Why spend the money?)
- #59 Natural Medicine (Give me a well-educated doctor and science any day)
- #49 Vintage (A mixed bag, it threatens to be in the same pretentious category as Gondry and some others that shall come)
- #41 Indie Music (Spotting a trend here?)
- #38 Arrested Development (Not funny!!!!)
- #26 Manhattan (now Brooklyn too!) (See my post from yesterday here — of course, that also proves that I do like Barack Obama, hmm).
- #20 Being an expert on YOUR culture (The most different culture I’ve claimed to have any sense of was Alsatian culture, not exactly a non-white world)
- #11 Asian Girls (I don’t not like them, but I don’t have the persuasion, either).
- #2 Religions their parents don’t belong to (Difficult when you come from a rather secular family).
Good job clander. No more scientific an examination of social patterns have I observed quite some time.